Top 9 Movie Quotes from All About Eve
One of the most critically acclaimed films of all time, All About Eve is still the only movie in Oscar history that got four female acting nominations, including Best Actress nominations for Bette Davis and Anne Baxter, and Best Supporting Actress nominations for Celeste Holm and Thelma Ritter. This American drama was also nominated for 14 Academy Awards, a record that was unmatched until 1997 by Titanic.
Plot: Written and directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, "All About Eve" is based on the short story "Wisdom of Eve" by Mary Orr, and it focuses on the life of a much respected but aging Broadway actress who is befriended by a young, obsessive fan who later becomes her rival.
"All About Eve" still is one of the sharpest movies ever made for Hollywood. Enjoy these 9 memorable quotes!
Margo Channing (Bette Davis)
1. "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night."
2. "Everybody has a heart- except some people."
3. [to husband Bill] "This is my house, not a theater. In my house, you're a guest, not a director."
4. "Funny business, a woman's career. The things you drop on your way up the ladder so you can move faster. You forget you'll need them when you get back to being a woman."
5. [responding to friend Karen's disbelief] "In this rat race, everybody's guilty till they're proved innocent!"
Eve Harrington (Anne Baxter)
6. "If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights and wrapping you up."
7. "But somehow, acting and make believe began to fill up my life more and more. It got so I couldn't tell the real from the unreal. Except that the unreal seemed more real to me."
Addison DeWitt (George Sanders)
8. "You're maudlin and full of self-pity. You're magnificent!"
9. "Every now and then some elder statesman of the theater or cinema assures the public that actors and actresses are just plain folks. Ignoring the fact that their greatest attraction to the public is their complete lack of resemblance to normal human beings."