The Bottom Line
I enjoyed Bang the Drum Slowly, although it was a bit of a guilty pleasure. This is an unusual film in that it focuses on the friendship between two men and dares to show their sensitive sides.
- Baseball movie with lots of heart
- Focuses on friendship between men
- Charismatic actors Moriarty and De Niro
- Might be a little too sappy for some
- Plays a little like a made-for-TV movie
- Sometimes heavy-handed
- DVD containing baseball drama Bang the Drum Slowly (1973)
- Movie stars Robert De Niro, Michael Moriarty, and Vincent Gardenia
- DVD contains no special features of any consequence
- Excellent picture quality
- Good sound quality
Guide Review - Bang the Drum Slowly DVD Review
I enjoyed Bang the Drum Slowly, although it was a bit of a guilty pleasure. I especially liked Robert De Niro and Michael Moriarty in it. The movie, based on the novel of the same name by Mark Harris, tells the story of an unlikely friendship between two major league baseball players, star pitcher Henry Arthur Wiggen (Michael Moriarty) and mediocre catcher Bruce Pearson (Robert De Niro). When Wiggen learns of Pearsons terminal illness, he does everything he can to see that his friend stays in the game he loves as long as possible. This is an unusual film in that it focuses on the friendship between two men and dares to show their sensitive sides.